This type of magazine pouch has been in use by the us military since World War 1. The first issue from 1918 were made from khaki cotton and featured 2 lift-a-dot snaps instead of one. Later in WW2 the single snap was introduced for speed, but the material was still light tan khaki. The ones offered for sale here are the later issue from Vietnam and through the late 1980’s. Dark olive drab green with black lift-a-dot fastener keeps the clips secure until they are needed. Usually one 2-pocket pouch was worn on the left front side of the pistol belt. The side-arm holster being reserved for the right side.